Free legal helpline: 0800 987 8554 General helpline: 0800 989 0053 Contact us

Grants & Funding

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Information on Benefits changes regularly, see the Government Website for more information. If you require support with a claim application you can get in touch with Citizens Advice.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs.

You can claim DLA if you are under 16.

You can reclaim DLA if you’ve claimed it in the last 12 months and you were born on or before 8 April 1948. You’ll receive a reclaim form in the post before your current claim ends.

If you’re not eligible

If you’re aged 16 to 64 and not currently getting DLA, you may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead.

If you’re aged 65 or older and haven’t received DLA or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in the last year, you may be able to claim Attendance Allowance instead.

If you were born after 8 April 1948 and you’re already claiming, you’ll continue to get DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to tell you when your DLA will end and invites you to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Unless your circumstances change, you don’t need to do anything until you hear from DWP about your DLA.

The rate you get is made up of 2 components (parts). How much you get depends on how your disability or health condition affects you.

How you’re paid

DLA is usually paid every 4 weeks. All benefits, pensions and allowances are paid into an account, for example your bank account.

Extra help

You could get extra benefits or tax credits if you get Disability Living Allowance – check with the Disability Service Centre or the office dealing with your benefit.

If you have walking difficulties

You might get the mobility part of DLA if, when using your normal aid, you:

  • can’t walk
  • can only walk a short distance without severe discomfort
  • could become very ill if you try to walk
  • You might also get it if you:
  • have no feet or legs
  • are assessed as 100% blind and at least 80% deaf and you need someone with you when outdoors
  • are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and get the highest rate of care for DLA
  • need supervision most of the time when walking outdoors
  • are certified as severely sight impaired and you were aged between 3 and 64 on 11 April 2011

You must tell DWP if your circumstances change, for example your condition improves or you need more help.


You might get a letter saying you need to attend an assessment to check the level of help you need. The letter explains why, and where you must go. Your benefit may be stopped if you don’t go.

At the assessment, you’ll be asked for identification. You can use a passport or any 3 of the following:

  • birth certificate
  • a full driving licence
  • life assurance policy
  • bank statements


Turn2Us is a not for profit organisation that can help you find benefits available. Their website provide helpful information and guidance on the best way to get support.

Disability Grants

Disability Grants provides information and advice on claiming benefits and what support is available from charities across the UK. Visit their website for more information

Free Legal Advice Line - 0800 987 8554